Lambs Down Festival

16 Jun

Yesterday I visited Carleton Place, Ontario, to attend the Lambs Down Festival. It was held at the premises of the Canadian Cooperative Wool Growers, the place where three million pounds of Canadian wool is graded then distributed around the world. The Lambs Down Festival features sheep-shearing demonstrations. I watched this one-year-old ewe being sheared for the first time!

Lambs Down Festival

The Co-op was established in 1918 by the sheep industry as a national system of collecting and marketing its members’ wool on a co-operative basis. It occupies a former Canadian Pacific Railway roundhouse. Did you know that only 10% of wool produced in Canada stays in Canada? The other 90% is exported.

Yesterday the warehouse was open. There seemed to be LOTS of raw wool stored there until it is graded and shipped out.
Canadian Coop Wool
Canadian Coop Wool

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Purlin' J's

"One of the coolest 'yarn stores' I've ever seen" --Vogue Knitting magazine, Holiday 2013

Sue Schlabach

Artist, photographer and upcycler living in Vermont. Viewer of the world through eyes and lens.

%d bloggers like this: